Purchase a carbon offset package for your use of plastic bags. Life's pleasures don't have to leave a carbon footprint on the planet. Introducing lifestyle offsets, so you can make sure you're helping the planet while living your best life. Learn more now.
What Does Climate+ Mean?
How Can We Do Better?
- •Turning your thermostat down by 2 degrees.
- •Wearing clothes more than once before washing them.
- •Bike, walk or ride the bus to work!
- •Switch over to LED bulbs and smart appliances.
- •Try buying local, seasonal fruits and vegetables.
- •Use waxed cloth instead of plastic wrap for food.
- •Remember your reusable bags, mugs and cutlery for all outings.
The Impact Of Trees
What Does Offsetting Mean To tentree?
Where Do We Plant Your Trees?
This climate+ package is based on the average North American who grocery shops once a week, and uses 10 plastic bags per shop. Imagine the impact of carrying a tote with you.
5 plastic bags are responsible for 1kg of carbon, this means that 1 bag would emit 0.2kg of carbon. 5 / 5 = 1 bag, 1/5 kg equals 0.2kg of carbon
We use the conversion factor 0.001 to get from kilograms CO2 to MT CO2. So, 1 bag would emit 0.0002 MT of CO2
0.2kg CO2 x 0.001 = 0.0002 MT of carbon / bag
If a person uses 10 bags, 4 times per month over a one year period, they would use 480 bags per year.
10 bags x 4 weeks x 12 months = 480 bags per year
If we multiply the number of bags used per year, by the amount of carbon one bag emits, we can see that over one year, one individual would emit 0.096 MT of CO2 from using plastic bags.
480 bags x 0.0002 MT carbon/bag = 0.096 MT CO2/year
Over 15 years of forgetting plastic bags, an individual would emit 1.44 MT CO2.
0.096 x 15 = 1.44 MT CO2